Europe Trip 2016 || Day 3: Bremen, Germany to Göttingen, Germany

Our third day was another travel day, but we made sure not to waste the few hours left that we had in Bremen. After waking up we went and got a nice buffet breakfast at a cute restaurant, Alex’s with an incredible view of the town market with the church in the background. We had a bit of extra time to kill so we went and walked around Bürgerpark which is a beautiful park in Bremen. There were beautiful bridges, ponds, and a cute little petting zoo and children’s park. About an hour before our train left for Göttingen (where we would meet up with a former camp counselor), we headed back to Renzzo’s host family’s house to collect the rest of our belongings. We lost track of time and left a little late to catch the tram that would take us to the train station. We were so scared that we were going to miss our tram that we ended up running to the tram station, only to find out that the tram was running late. So, we made it on the tram with time to spare and headed to the train station. There, we said our goodbyes, took a few polaroid pictures and headed to our platform. We got on the train, sat down and waited to leave.

We waited and waited and waited until someone started talking over the loudspeaker. They were speaking in German (obviously) so we had no clue what they were saying, and everyone around us on the train could not speak English. We sat for about an hour, not really knowing what was going on and worrying about missing our next train. After a few more announcements, quite  few more grunts and groans following the announcements, and a few people getting up and exiting the train, we found a younger girl (probably around 17) who spoke English. She told us exactly what was going on and kept updating us whenever they made an announcement. About an hour and a half into our wait, they made the announcement that the train would not be moving and we would have to find other travel arrangements. Luckily the younger girl helped us get new tickets and sent us on our way.

We got on a train that took us straight to Göttingen and waited to leave. As if we hadn’t waited for our trains enough that day, the new train to Göttingen also was experiencing mechanical issues so we had to wait another 30 minutes to figure out what was going on with that train. Eventually we heard the engine start up and we began moving. We bought some wifi so that we could tell Johannes (our family friend in Göttingen) what had happened and that we would be arriving a little bit later than we originally thought. The train ride passed by rather quickly and Marguerite and I just read our books until we got to Göttingen.

When we arrived in Göttingen, we quickly found Johannes (he was the tallest person on the platform with the biggest smile on his face). On the whole way back to his flat we (and by we, I mean he) talked and talked, catching up since the last time we had seen each other. We had dinner with his roommates, Micha and Louisé, which Micha had so wonderfully prepared. We talked about school, and the differences in the education systems, and camp, and all sorts of fun stuff. After our stomachs were full, we said our thank yous and goodbyes and went to the tram stop to get to Johannes’s parent’s house. When we got to his parents house, they were already asleep, so he quietly showed us where we would be staying and we all went to bed. We were all pretty tired, so I conked out right away.

*not too many pictures from the day because lets be honest, we spent the majority of the day sitting on a still train.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s